Sunday, August 25, 2013

Grandpa's Corner

Yes, it is True!

When I went on my mission to Brazil in June of 1961, there was no MTC.  I arrived not speaking one word of Portuguese.  It was hard!  I wondered if I had made a mistake. I wondered if our church was really true. I wondered if I could really do it.

I kept working and soon realized that I did have a testimony. In fact, when I understood what a testimony was, I realized that I could not remember when I did not have a testimony.

One of the most wonderful parts of Heavenly Father's plan is that each of can know for ourselves that His plan is real.  That knowledge, which we call a testimony does not come from books, scientific proof or intellectual means.  It comes through our thoughts and feelings from the Holy Ghost.

Here are some helpful thoughts about a testimony:

  • a testimony does not usually come in a flash
  • it is not a single event like buying something at a store
  • sometimes we have special experiences that confirm or strengthen testimony
  • sometimes people cry when they bear testimony. Strong emotion or crying is not required for a testimony
  • your testimony is whatever you feel about God, the atonement, the Church, prophets, etc.
  • Bearing your testimony can include words like:
    • I know
    • I believe
    • I think
    • I feel in my heart
  • to get or increase your testimony you can:
    • learn by reading, participating in Sunday School, Seminary, home evening, etc
    • pray, ask God to give you a testimony
    • obey the commandments
    • bear your testimony and listen to the testimony of others.
I know there is a God and that we belong to His true Church and I know that  you can know too.

No comments:

Post a Comment