Tuesday, March 4, 2014

At last, Harry the Gnome...

Harry the Gnome by Allen C. Ostergar Jr.

The birth of Harry the Gnome was on this wise...In 1995, I made each of the girls (Gwen, Anna, Sara and Martha), a wooden jewelry box.  Martha’s was the la

st one to be made because her birthday is on October 1 and the others have birthdays earlier in the year.

I was behind schedule and did not have Martha’s box finished in time for her birthday. We were sitting in church one Sunday and Martha was teasing me and giving me a bad time because her birthday had passed and she did not yet have her present. 

Martha and I used to sit in church and write notes to each other, usually on the sacrament meeting program, about various things. Nana got upset at us and told us we were irreverent.  I guess we were, but it was fun.


Anyway, when Martha teased me about not yet receiving her birthday present , I made up a name and told her, “Harry the Gnome broke into the house and stole it.” She asked me who Harry the Gnome was, so I described him to her as follows:  He is an ugly, crabby creature who likes to steal presents and ruin birthdays, Christmas, and other occasions when gifts are given. He sometimes returns the gifts, but only when he wants. If you complain or speak badly about him, he is likely to sneak back some night and leave you a present, poop under your carpet. Whenever Harry steals a gift, the person must wait until he is ready to return it.


Harry is still around and occasionally delights in delaying the giving of gifts. No one has every reported any poop under the carpet, but beware, it is always a possibility.  We never know when Harry will strike again. So, if your present is delayed, it is almost certain that it is because Harry the Gnome has it.  So just smile and be patient, but never, never speak badly about Harry the Gnome.

Actual photo of Harry the Gnome...take by Allen IV


If you were choosing to take a color photo of Harry, what colors do you think he would be sporting?

My take on Harry...
Harry - actual color photo : )


No comments:

Post a Comment