Wednesday, November 13, 2013

My sister Gwen

My sister is 6 years older than me.  When I was growing up, I couldn't imagine a more beautiful, glamorous, popular, charming girl than my sister.  I would try on her prom dresses, when she wasn't around, and imagine myself being able to "fit" in one of them.

When I was 12 and graduating from elementary school, I was set up on a blind date for all the graduation activities.  My sister, fixed my hair!

She was the one that would make our Christmas tree look beautiful.  She was always a breath of fresh air coming and going with her friends and activities.

I was a bridesmaid at her wedding.

We have always lived far apart geographically. These last few years, we were growing closer and more involved with each other and our families.  Families have special ties.  We learn great things in our families and especially feel one another's support and encouragement.

I am missing her very much.  She died in a sudden and unexpected way.  I cherish the love that we have shared over the years. It is something you can always feel.  Here are a few pictures, I think you will enjoy.
Family Christmas Dinner around 1951
Jim, John, Ruth, Harry, Nancy, Gwen, turkey and ham



Gwen and Nancy
A snowy day in Ottawa around 1952 or 3

Gwen the Nurse
Montreal

More photos to come and stories to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment